updated 04/26/2007 AT 3:00 PM ET
•originally published 04/26/2007 AT 4:00 PM ET
Snoop Dogg has been banned from yet another country – this time Down Under.
The rapper’s visa application to Australia was rejected because of his history of trouble with the law, said the country’s Immigration Minister, Kevin Andrews.
“He doesn’t seem the sort of bloke we want in this country,” Andrews told Sydney’s Macquarie Radio. “He has a whole string of convictions, and just two weeks ago he was convicted of a number of charges again.”
Earlier this month, Snoop Dogg was sentenced to five years’ probation and 800 hours of community service after he pleaded no contest to felony gun and drug charges in California.
The 35-year-old rapper was due to travel to Australia to co-host and perform at the MTV Australia Video Music Awards on Sunday.
Less than a month ago, the rapper was forced to cancel the British leg of his European tour with Diddy after authorities in that country also barred him from entering.
“He has been denied entry into the United Kingdom because he was caught with others causing affray at Heathrow Airport,” said Andrews, citing an incident 12 months ago when Dogg and his entourage were in a pre-flight fracas in which seven police officers were injured and Dogg was later locked up.
Australia has notoriously strict immigration and visa requirements where criminal history is taken into account. During Snoop Dogg’s last visit to Australia in February, Andrews said he overstayed his visa by two days and was given an official warning.
The rapper’s Los Angeles-based lawyer, Donald Etram, had no comment when contacted by the Associated Press.