updated 04/29/2010 AT 6:15 PM ET
•originally published 04/29/2010 AT 6:25 PM ET
If the tables had been turned during their late-night dispute, Conan O’Brien says he knows what he would – and wouldn’t – have done to Jay Leno.
“He went and took that show back and I think in a similar situation, if roles had been reversed, I know – I know me, I wouldn’t have done that,” O’Brien, 47, says in his first post-Tonight Show interview, scheduled to air on 60 Minutes Sunday.
In the interview, the new TBS late-night host tells Steve Kroft that he would not have “surrendered The Tonight Show and handed it over to somebody publicly and wished them well – and then … six months later But that’s me, you know.”
Adding that “Everyone’s got their own, you know, way of doing things,” O’Brien, who’s been on the road for his 30-date North American tour, says if he had been in Leno’s shoes, he would’ve “done something else, go someplace else.”