updated 06/17/2013 AT 8:00 AM ET
•originally published 06/17/2013 AT 8:50 AM ET
After a two-year review, Scotland Yard says it will reopen and fully fund a new investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the British girl who vanished from her family’s vacation apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in 2007.
That review comes after the intervention of British Prime Minister David Cameron, whose spokeswoman on Monday reiterated renewed support for the once-widely reported case, according to Britain’s Sky News.
“The Home Office remains committed to supporting the search for Madeleine McCann,” says the rep.
Portuguese authorities were criticized in the initial investigation and ended their own review of the case in July 2008, even as the mystery of her disappearance continued.
Madeleine, who was a few days shy of her 4th birthday, had been asleep with her twin siblings while her parents went out for dinner. When they returned, she had vanished from a rented ground-floor apartment and she has never been seen since, despite her case earning intense international attention.
Last year, British police released a photo of what she might have looked like as she approached turning 9 years old.
Madeleine’s family, like others of missing children, is likely buoyed by recent cases of missing children being found, including Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped in California and later found after surviving 18 years with her abductors, and Shawn Hornbeck, who was abducted at 11 and found after being gone for four years.
Most recently, the shocking case of three women found alive in Cleveland after being gone for a decade and held captive inside a squalid residential home has raised hopes of parents of missing children.