Quick Hits: Dog Keeps Oregon Planes Safe from Birds; Plus: Animals Just Wanna Have Fun!
* A border collie named Filly is helping keep an Oregon airport safe from bird strikes. Filly, who was donated from the Coos County Animal Shelter a year ago, has been chasing away birds after just two months of training. -- LA Times LA Unleashed
* Animals play, eat and do other things just for fun or pleasure, researchers say. Gulls will play catch, other animals will tickle each other and some will use their electric charges for "stimulation." -- Discovery
* No good deed goes unpunished for Oprah Winfrey. In addition to the sit-ins and mob scenes that resulted from her free KFC chicken coupons, now animal rights groups are angry she partnered with the factory farming restaurant. -- LA Times LA Unleashed
* Traveling with Fido? Petside offers an instructional video on keeping your pets safe in the car. -- Petside.com
* Conservationists hope to spread the 700-some remaining black rhinos around east Africa, hoping to ensure their survival and promote tourism. -- Huffington Post
* A four-foot moon jellyfish washed up in England near Devon. That's about four times the usual size and one of the biggest ever found in England. Some blame climate change on increased jellyfish populations. -- Daily Telegraph
On Newsstands Now
- Kim's Delivery Room Drama!
- Katie: A Year After Split
- Princess Kate: Palace's Baby Plan Revealed
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine