7 Reasons to Adopt a Cat Now!
The colder-than-a-wet-nose facts:
1. According to American Humane, about 4 million cats end up in shelters every year. That's 4 million too many!
2. Spring is breeding season for felines, so more cats end up homeless now than any other time of year.
3. In the U.S., between 3 million to 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year. By adopting a cat this month, you would be single-handedly saving a life. What's better than that?
The warm and fuzzy-coated facts:
4. Cats are pets with benefits! What other pets keep themselves clean, poop in a box AND, according to American Humane, can reduce your blood pressure? None that we can think of.
5. There's no better feeling than cuddling a cat. Except, maybe cuddling George Clooney–but let's be realistic. A tabby cat is just as handsome–and he purrs!
6. Cats are independent creatures that require little supervision–the perfect animal for city dwellers or workaholics! Admit it, you are one.
7. Speaking of independence, you'd be amazed at the things cats are doing these days, like Twittering. Meet Sockington, the onetime stray turned Twittering cat! His owner is officially an Internet star. That could be you!
Keep an eye out: We'll be featuring adoptable cats on PEOPLE Pets each week throughout the month of June! And, get your photos ready: We'll be looking for newly adopted cats for our photo contest.