Treats to Try: Peanut Butter Cookies from Bella Dog Bakery
05/13/2010 AT 07:45 AM EDT
Founded by owner Tracey Held, Bella Dog features neatly-organized shelves stocked with holistic pet food, glass jars filled with treats (they bake more than 10,000 each week!) and hand-thrown bowls and cookie jars designed by Christine Heisler, a local artist. Collars, leads, organic toys and grooming products are popular buys, and Held's shelties, Sam and Sarah, greet customers daily.
There are treats for people, too: Another local artist creates earrings and necklaces, donating a portion of proceeds to the Sheltie Rescue of Central Indiana and Kentuckiana Pug Rescue. Held hosts the two groups monthly for adoption events, as well.
In celebration of the bakery's all-natural approach to snacks, they've created a special treat (pictured) just for PEOPLEPets.com readers, with simple ingredients you can find at home. (It was taste-tested by Sam and Sarah, so it must be good.)
PEOPLEPets Peanut Butter Treats
1 cup barley flour
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup hot water
1. Preheat oven to 330 degrees F
2. Add ingredients to mixing bowl in this order: Flour, oil, peanut butter. Mix with spoon, then add hot water and continue blending.
3. Remove dough from the bowl (dough will have the appearance of rough pie crust). Knead until smooth and silky
4. Pinch off quarter-size pieces and roll dough into a ball and place on a cookie sheet.
5. Press dinner fork on balls in a crisscross fashion
6. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly brown, then turn over and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes until firm and brown.
7. Cool completely before serving to your furbaby
See more Treats to Try on PEOPLEPets.com:
Treats to Try: 10% Off Orders from Barkley Square
Treats to Try: 20% Off Orders from A Dog's Life