Man Saves Dog from Choking to Death on Spare Rib

06/08/2010 at 07:45 AM EDT

Man Saves Dog from Choking to Death on Spare Rib
Peter Lawson/REX
It's any pet owner's worst nightmare: Your dog starts choking right in front of you, helplessly gasping for air. But instead of falling paralyzed with fear, Chris Mallett sprang to action when it happened to his pup recently – and thanks to his quick thinking, she's still alive today.

Mallett's 7-year-old bulldog Stella had stolen a spare rib during a family barbecue in Essex, Britain, last week. After finishing her snack, she somehow ended up inhaling the bone – and obstructing her airway, reports.

Mallett, a former Army aid, noticed Stella struggling for air. He pried the pup's jaw open and was able to retrieve the 5-in. bone, but because she'd been deprived of oxygen, Stella soon fell unconscious. So Mallett performed rescue breathing, first blowing into the dog's snout before performing mouth-to-mouth. He also rubbed her belly, encouraging her to breathe.

After a few harrowing moments, Stella thankfully came to. "She lifted up her head and looked like she'd had 15 beers, but eventually she got up," Mallett tells Following some recovery time, Stella was up and running again – and will hopefully steer clear of spare ribs!

Read about more amazing rescues on
VIDEO: Amazing Rescue! Dog Saved from L.A. River by Firefighter
Stranded Dog Found Floating on Ice in Baltic Sea

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine


From Our Partners

Watch It

Latest Photos

Stars and Their Pets

Amber's Puppy Pick-Me-Up

From Our Partners

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters