Dog Swallows Rubber Duck – And Stomachs It for 9 Months
When Jasmine, a 7-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier in Scotland, swallowed a 4-in. rubber duck that belonged to her owner's niece, she wasn't at all bothered by the presence of the foreign object in her stomach.
The bath toy had apparently attracted Jasmine due to its squeaks, but owner Nicola Waters didn't see the curious pooch gobble up the duck.
Then, nine months later, Jasmine started vomiting occasionally, and stopped eating. Once at the vet, x-rays showed that the rubber duck had moved into Jasmine's small intestine.
"If it had been left a week longer, it could have easily been fatal," veterinary surgeon Siobhan Casey told the U.K.'s Daily Mail.
With the duck safely removed, Jasmine made a quick recovery and is back to being her usual self. As for squeaky bath toys? Waters says she won't be letting any more in the house anytime soon.
See more stories of swallowed objects on PEOPLEPets.com:
Weird Things Dogs Swallow