Adopt Me! Tabitha Lost Her Owner in a House Fire
This sweet cat's world was turned upside down when a discarded cigarette sparked a house fire that killed her owner. During a sweep of the Fort Fairfield, Me., property, firefighters discovered the kitten hiding under a piece of furniture.
Fireman performed emergency treatment to keep the injured cat breathing and she was taken to a nearby animal hospital where she was treated for burns on her body, feet, eyebrows and whiskers, and for a sore throat caused by smoke inhalation.
It took feedings through a syringe and a lot of recovery time for Tabitha to get well. "She's had quite a [journey]," says Norma Milton, president of the Halfway Home Pet Rescue of Caribou, Me., who is caring for Tabitha. "She has little patches of burns, but she's beautiful."
This sweet and loving feline, whose medical bills were paid for by David and Ruby Bickford of Etna, Me., has "grieved deeply for her deceased owner," says Milton. She needs to find a safe place where she can learn to love again – a home without other animals would be preferred.
If you want to open your heart to Tabitha, contact the Halfway Home Pet Rescue at (207)492-1722. TheHHPR is a network of foster homes for cats. In 2011, they helped 195 felines find forever homes.
Click here to meet last week's adoptable pet, Chappy.