The Daily Treat: Dog Saves Life of Choking Owner

UPDATED 10/01/2013 at 03:00 PM EDT Originally published 10/01/2013 at 12:45 PM EDT

Dog Saves Choking Owner: Video


Just call her Super Dog!

Samantha the German shepherd leaped into action this summer when her owner, Candace Lines, began choking on a piece of chicken. Now, she's being credited with saving her life.

"I was gasping for air," Lines told CNN affiliate WFSB, "because my airway was all clogged up."

Unable to speak, she pointed to the dog and then to a medical alert device that was sitting on a tabletop. When Samantha brought it to her with her mouth, she triggered an alarm that alerted a monitoring company, who in turn called the house. The operator could only hear a dog's bark on the line, and so a fire crew was dispatched to the Connecticut home, where they found Lines lying on the floor.

"Thank god my dog saved my life because if she wasn't here I probably would have been dead," Lines told ABC 6 News in Providence, R.I., adding that Samantha stayed by her side and watched as firemen tried to help her. "We have a bond."

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

George Turns 1: Raising a Little Prince!
  • George Turns 1: Raising a Little Prince!
  • Ryan and Eva: How They Hid Her Pregnancy
  • Jillian Michaels: Why I Left Biggest Loser

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

From Our Partners

Watch It

Latest Photos

Stars and Their Pets

Tom's Good Listener

From Our Partners