The Daily Treat: Tiny Chihuahua Saves Family from House Fire

Chloe was found covered in ash by firefighters

updated 06/28/2014 AT 1:00 PM ET

originally published 06/27/2014 AT 12:30 PM ET

Somebody get this super dog a cape!

A tiny Chihuahua named Chloe from Federal Way, Washington, barked until her sleeping family woke up during a house fire – and she’s being credited with saving their lives.

“My mom’s little 5-lb. Chihuahua started barking when she saw the smoke,” Devon Whittlesey told ABC 13 News. “Smoke was pouring into my room. I dropped down to my hands and knees and crawled to the front door.”

Whittlesey and two other residents made it out fast thanks to the barking, but Chloe wasn’t so lucky.

When part of the home collapsed in flames, they thought the dog was gone forever. An hour later, firefighters discovered the pooch alive in the rubble, covered in ash, according to ABC 13.

“Chloe saved us,” Whittlesey said. “We wouldn’t have lived. If the flames wouldn’t have got us, the smoke would’ve.”