updated 08/25/2015 AT 8:16 PM ET
•originally published 01/19/2014 AT 1:00 PM ET
Jennifer Lawrence was the reigning darling of last year’s awards season, and she may have passed that torch to Lupita Nyong’o. The recent Yale grad, who’s already won a SAG Award and a Critics’ Choice Award for her raw performance in 12 Years a Slave, has been charming seemingly everyone with her refreshingly modest, heartfelt manner.
Based on the following evidence, Nyong’o might just be the new J.Law.
1. They both like to name-drop other celebrities in their speeches. Nyong’o gave a shout-out to costar Brad Pitt at Saturday night’s SAG Awards, and Jennifer Lawrence’s 2013 Oscar speech memorably featured an “I beat Meryl!” joke.
2. Lawrence is clearly as charmed by Nyong’o as we all are. In fact, her excitement over seeing the actress at the SAG Awards made for one of the evening’s best photos.
3. They’ve both worn show-stopping red numbers – Lupita’s scarlet Ralph Lauren dress at the 2014 Golden Globes, and Lawrence’s curve-hugging Calvin Klein gown at the 2011 Oscars.
4. They were both nominated for a slew of awards for their breakout roles – Nyong’o for 12 Years a Slave and Lawrence for 2010’s Winter’s Bone.
5. Nyong’o won over Lawrence for best supporting actress at the SAG Awards.
Straight from the SAG Awards!
[BRIGHTCOVE_PLAYLIST “3067264077001” ]
Like us on Facebook for more stories like this!